Re: A question (re popOver-procmail-formail-appnmail) of error messages and lockfiles

1996-04-27 17:51:53

Not to flame, but can you please not send a) in richtext, b) a gif of
your name?  Between those and the fact that the richtext converter I
have totally destroyed the formating, I almost didn't send this
response.  I'm happy that NeXT Mail.app now sends in MIME, but for
mailing lists at least, gratuitous use of MIME just makes it harder to
read.

Also, is there reason for bolding almost all your text?

"Matthew N. Reichman" <reichman(_at_)usc(_dot_)edu> writes:
<bold>A question (re popOver-procmail-formail-appnmail) of error messages and
lockfiles???

</bold>The following is a sample of error messages I've been getting. I don't
think I am actually losing any mail, but I am gaining duplicate mail in my /tmp
directory.  I would be grateful for some pointers where to look for problems.

The error messages are because you shouldn't be using local lockfiles
when piping into a program.  Appnmail locks the bletcherous NeXT
Mail.app mailbox in the fashion that is required for you.  Just remove
all those colons on the recipes that use appnmail.

As for the odd files in /tmp, the names for the first 17
(.reichman.PopOver.XXXX) would seem to indicate that PopOver is the
culprit.  Since /tmp doesn't seem to appear in your .procmailrc, I'm
guessing the other files may also be from PopOver.  I know nothing
about PopOver, so I will say nothing more on it.

</bold>*  I have an /etc/procmailrc which is linked to my ~/.procmailrc
<bold>(#2 below)

Why the link?  It should be totally unnecessary, and if you ever get
another user on your machine, the /etc/procmailrc will be considered
quite rude.

... [cleaned up of richtext cruft]
#!/bin/csh -f
/bin/rm -rf /tmp/mail/* && /bin/rm -rf /tmp/mail
mkdirs /tmp/mail/
popOver
if (( -f /tmp/mail/reichman )) then
      chmod 755 /tmp/mail
      formail -s procmail -m /Users/reichman/.procmailrc << /tmp/mail/reichman
endif

1) Why the chmod?  Is popOver changing the perms to something bogus?
2) Why the "-m /Users/reichman/.procmailrc"?  It should be superfluous.
3) Does popOver by any chance allow you to specify where to place the
        incoming mail?  If so, I would suggest putting it in your home
        directory, as anyone on your machine could capture your mail
        the way you're doing above.

Philip Guenther