This simple recipe fails, but why??

1996-05-02 11:32:21
I've been poring over the procmail docs, really I have, but I can't even
get what's probably the world's simplest recipe to work, even though I
was using an example from the procmailex man page as a template (the
example that says: "Add the headers of all messages that didn't come
from the postmaster to your private header collection...")!

What I'm trying to do is:  for each arriving e-mail that's not from a
mailing list, copy the header to the file .mail_in, then activate a
shell script called "grepper", which greps selected header lines to a
master file, then deletes .mail_in.

So I've been trying:

:0 hwc:
* !^FROM_DAEMON
| cat >>$HOME/Mail/.mail_in; $HOME/bin/grepper

But it doesn't work, though I've tried numerous different phrasings of
the action line.  I can't even get it to just write the header to the
file .mail_in.  The procmail log shows:

procmail: Executing " cat >>/usr/u/a/areray/Mail/.mymail"

...but it doesn't actually happen.  Could someone please tell me what
the heck I'm doing wrong?  I'll name my first-born child after whoever
does!!  ;-)

RR

...Friends don't let friends drive Chevies.

--
in austin, texas                    <live music capital of the world!>
http://www.io.com/~areray                    Festina lente.