TAN: Mail bouncers (was Re: Procmail 3.10 on Solaris 2.3)

1996-06-01 03:35:30
On Fri, 31 May 1996 19:35:16 -0500, Philip Guenther
<guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu>
wrote:
g9ubof(_at_)fnma(_dot_)com (Ben Fofana) writes:
When I create a .forward file, no mail gets delivered at all.
The mail is probably bouncing.  Have someone else mail to you while you
have the .forward file in place, then remove it and check with them to
see what the bounce message says.

A loooong time ago, I think I remember reading about an address
something like boomerang@(somewhere).edu where the "somewhere" likely
has something with MIT to do. This address would merely send back the
mail to the sender.
  This is, of course, easy enough to implement with Procmail. I even
set this up for one person, at my normal University address, for
testing his mail. (Hi, Paul.) I'd set up a global mail bouncer if I
could have a separate address for that, but I was thinking, since this
list is shock full of mail admins, probably it would make sense for
one of you guys to do it.
  Would I be over-optimistic if I assumed that this service is already
implemented at a number of places, and I'm just an ignorant?
  A list of such servers would be good to have in the FAQ, though. I
don't know where else to look. (I tried Alta Vista and Lycos, but you
can guess what happened: Literally millions of matches, none of which
had anything with this service to do.)

/* era */

To Ben:
  Why don't you just check directly with SMTP to see what's wrong with
the .forward file:

   % telnet mail.host.com 25
   220 Yessir?
    helo your.host.com