Re: SOS!!! Promail problem!!!

1996-06-19 20:10:30
I setup promail on Solaris2.5.

I tried the following lines in .forward, none of them worked:

"|IFS=' ';exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- #username"
"|IFS=' ';exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- USER=username"
"|exec /usr/local/bin/procmail #username"
"|exec /usr/local/bin/procmail USER=username"
and also switch the leading "| to |" for above cases.

I got this Return mail message for all the above cases:

Returned mail: Address <username(_at_)hostname(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)> is
unsafe for mailling to
programs

I have no idea what's this means.

Can anyone help??

I'm guessing, because I haven't seen this exact message before, but I'll
bet that this is the result of a Mprog redefinition, in the sendmail
configuration, to "safe" shell script, like "smrsh".

With "smrsh", the program must be "registered" before it can be used in
a pipe.  This is done simply by linking the absolute path to the program
into a configured directory, typically "/usr/adm/sm.bin/".  For example:

    ln -s /usr/local/bin/procmail /usr/adm/sm.bin/procmail

Under "smrsh", this has the side-effect of not needing paths (or even
using them) to programs; just the simple name will do:

    |procmail -f- #username

    |flist somelist

With other "smrsh"-like programs the registration process may be
different.

If you have root access, an alternative to using .forward files is to
redefine Mlocal in sendmail.cf to something like this:

  Mlocal, P=/bin/procmail, F=lsSDFMhPfn, S=10, R=20, A=procmail -t -a $h -d $u

Your "S=" and "R=" lines may be different, depending upon your
configuration.  You should definitely read all the available man pages
that came with procmail before trying this.

Alan