bug in \< handling?

1996-06-20 15:12:10
Given identical input, these two rules score the input differently:

procmail: Score:       8      -1
"[^a-zA-Z0-9_](job|resume|employment|references|education|qualifications|previous|visa|relocating|recommendation|position|experience|design|implement|graduate|university|methodology|structured|principles|responsible)"

procmail: Score:       0      -9
"\<(job|resume|employment|references|education|qualifications|previous|visa|relocating|recommendation|position|experience|design|implement|graduate|university|methodology|structured|principles|responsible)"

according to procmailrc, \< is shorthand for [^a-zA-Z0-9_], so I think
this is a bug.  The input is below:

Silicon Valley Web Directory Update

Your directory has changed and grown over the months since its
introduction. Besides the listing of your company's website, it
now includes over 2,000 other computer and semiconductor industry
companies. The directory now has over 5,000 websites listed that
relate to your work and where you live. A few of the enhancements
and additions include the following:

An on-site search engine so you can easily find any Silicon
Valley web site. Try looking up your company.

A unique and powerful internet search engine called Eureka! that
can find anything you are looking for on the web, in newsgroups,
and any other internet resource. Simple, yet powerful.

A comprehensive listing of every computer industry trade show,
exposition, and conference that is located right here in the valley
or in the rest of the United States, updated daily.

Over 125 computer industry associations have been added to the
directory. This includes many local groups and groups involved
with the internet and the World Wide Web.

An expanded Business Services and Resources section that now
contains websites for the best web developers, web trainers, and
web marketing services home pages.

The Silicon Valley Web Directory covers the 10 counties
surrounding the San Francisco Bay. It includes every cultural,
entertainment, sports, and recreational resource website in the
region. For example, you can find over 500 educational home pages
from kindergarten through graduate school here. You will also
enjoy our page of maps of the bay area and California.

The best resources for finding a job or offering employment
opportunities on the World Wide Web are covered. Most of them
have a heavy emphasis on Silicon Valley.

You or your company can also place links on our new "Free Links
For All" page and in our "Guest Book" to further promote your home
page.

This website has received dozens of major web awards and reviews
that can be viewed on the site. This month the site received the
"USA Today Hot Site of the Day" award. You can also view our daily
access statistics and read a complete analysis of the hundreds of
thousands of visitors to the Silicon Valley Web Directory. Now,
take a break and take a look at it at this URL:

http://www.best.com/~mentorms/sanjose.htm

Michael