changing 2nd word in 'From ' line

1996-06-24 12:41:33

I've got an application which brings my mail via pop3.

Problem is, the app changes the 'From ' line from

From user(_at_)host(_dot_)com Mon Jun 24 15:08:49 1996

From PopOver Mon Jun 24 15:08:49 1996

This screws up the log because I can't see who the message is from.

I already have a variable $FROM which fetches the return-email
address (via formail -r).  I'd like to replace the 'PopOver' in the
'From ' line with the value of '$FROM'.

I thought I could use this sed line:
         sed "s/PopOver/$FROM/g"
and then define a new 'From ' line via formail -I but that has
consistently failed.

Anyone have a hint/clue/guess as to a better way of doing this?

Thanks

TjL

--
Timothy J. Luoma, currently with nothing witty to put in his .sig
        luomat(_at_)nerc(_dot_)com  <<--NEW address