Re: Outbound mailing lists

1996-07-04 10:18:37
Mark Jared Nightingale asked,

| 1. Is it possible to use procmail to **send** e-mail to a long list of
| recipients, AND have each header appear as if that recipient is the only one?

That's a different question from your second one, Mark: do you want each
recipient to get a copy with his or her name on it, or is it enough that the
other recipients' names not be on it, as you asked in the second question?
The second way can be satisfied by having NONE of their names on it.  That's
fairly easy to do (easiest of all, in fact).  Sending everyone a personalized
copy with his or her name on it is more effort (a lot more for the system
every time as well as a little more for you to set it up), so if it's not
necessary, I'd advise against it.

| eg;
|
| :0
| * ^TO.*AllArchitects

Stop right there.  The proper form is

  * ^TOAllArchitects

or in more recent versions, ^TO_ might be better for your purpose than ^TO:

  * ^TO_AllArchitects

^TO and ^TO_ already end in an expression that is better than ".*"; adding
".*" after them seriously weakens their function.  Anyhow, back to the
questions:

| :0
| * ^TOAllArchitects
| ! name1(_at_)dom1(_dot_)com, name2(_at_)dom2(_dot_)com
|
| 2. I don't want name1(_at_)dom1(_dot_)com to see that this message also went
| name2(_at_)dom2(_dot_)com(_dot_)  Perhaps they should each be Bcc'd.  How
does procmail do
| that?

procmail's "!" operator does not add names to the headers.  If there already
are visible To:, Cc:, Resent-To:, or Resent-Cc: headers, they'll remain, but
they won't matter this time around (unless you use "! -t").  The names you
list after the "!" operator will not be added to the visible headers, only
to the envelope, which recipients cannot see.  (The result is identical to
sending a blind carbon.)

If you want to make sure that no one's name is in those headers just in case
the message came in that way,

  :0fwh
  * ^TOAllArchitects
  | formail -ICc: -IResent- -I"To: (people on my architect list)"
   :0A
   ! name1(_at_)site1(_dot_)tld1 name2(_at_)site2(_dot_)tld2 etc.

| 3. Also, it would be great it this mailing list could be in a separate
| referenced file.  Is this possible?

  :0
  * ^TOAllArchitects
  | formail -ICc: -IResent- -I"To: (people on my architect list)"
   :0A
   !`cat file_with_addresses_of_architects`

That will last you as long as the text in that file fits within $LINEBUF
characters (with room for the initial exclamation point).