Re: Weird problem, any suggestions?

1996-07-13 11:38:17
Matt Clausen wrote,

| [F]or some reason, the mailing list is not getting sorted out by procmail
| and it's driving me nuts.
|
| The list is coming from owner-isp-telco(_at_)bsd1(_dot_)sytex(_dot_)net
|
| and what I have in my .procmailrc is:
|
| :0
| * ^From(_dot_)*(_at_)bsd1(_dot_)sytex(_dot_)net
| ISP-TELCO
|
| which should take any mail and stick it in a folder called ISP-TELCO
| sitting in my Mail directory. This doesn't happen though. It all
| accumulates in my INBOX which is really aggervating me. I've even tried
| altering the * ^From(_dot_)*(_at_)bsd1(_dot_)sytex(_dot_)net to *
^From(_dot_)*(_at_)*(_dot_)sytex(_dot_)net but the
| same thing still happens.

That alteration certainly won't work, because "@*" does not match "@bsdi".
Remember that we're working with regular expression syntax, not with shell
globbing patterns.

| Now the mail header on the message is as follows (greatly cut BTW):

  >From owner-isp-telco(_at_)bsd1(_dot_)sytex(_dot_)net  Thu Jul 11 00:31:25
1996
  From: Richard Cramer <rwc(_at_)cscfx(_dot_)sytex(_dot_)com>
  Subject: isp-telco ISP-TELCO list in now open for posting
  To: isp-telco(_at_)bsd1(_dot_)sytex(_dot_)net
  Sender: owner-isp-telco(_at_)bsd1(_dot_)sytex(_dot_)net

I hope that ">From" is simply what happened when you sent the headers to
us and that it isn't coming in that way.  If it's coming in that way, no
wonder there's no match to "^From".  So, two questions:

1. Is there a recipe earlier in your rcfile that diverts it to your inbox?
2. Is there some flow control in your rcfile (such as braces) that keeps
   procmail away from that recipe when it handles mail from that list?

You should define a LOGFILE and set VERBOSE=on for that recipe so that you
get some more information.

I recommend that you use the Sender: (or Resent-Sender: if applicable) header
rather than the From_ line to identify mail from a mailing list.  Your
current recipe would, if it worked, put all mail from bsd1.sytex.net into
the folder for that list.  (You also should escape the periods, because you
want them to match only literal periods, but that's not vital at this point,
because unescaped periods in a regexp will match periods in the text, unlike
most other magic characters.)

Another factor is that, unless $MAILDIR/ISP-TELCO is a directory rather than
a folder, you need a local lockfile on that recipe.  So here is my suggestion:

  :0: # allow for software and machine changes by list maintainer
  * ^(Resent-)?Sender: (owner-)?isp-telco(-request)?@(.*\.)?sytex\.net
  ISP-TELCO