Re: Proposed ^TO extension

1996-07-24 16:59:29
Leif Erlingsson <leif(_at_)lege(_dot_)com> wrote:
You suggested
      ^Received:.*[   ]for <?

I suggest
                 ^^^^

What does that buy us?  RFC822 fairly rigidly specifies how
a Received field should/can look.  The " for " check should be more
than sufficient.

Btw, what does the [    ] do?

There were a tab and a space in there.  Well, strictly speaking, according
to RFC822, it should become:

        ^Received:.*[    ]for[   ]+<?

Rick Troxel wrote:
This would break recipes I have for differentiating mailing list
arrivals addressed to me as well as a list, e.g.

 # ISDN List
 :0:
 * ^TOisdn(-digest)?@(max\.)?bungi\.com
 * ! ^TOrick(_at_)helix\(_dot_)nih\(_dot_)gov
 isdn

True.  However, this currently is not guaranteed to work as intended
either, because the ^TO expansion already includes things like
"X-Envelope-To:", which defeats the purpose you're checking for (crummy
English, I know, got lost in the sentence somewhere).

You'd be better off reformulating it similar to:

  # ISDN List
  :0:
  * ^TOisdn(-digest)?@(max\.)?bungi\.com
  * ! ^(To|Cc):(_dot_)*[^-a-z0-9(_dot_)]rick(_at_)helix\(_dot_)nih\(_dot_)gov
  isdn

I think I could live with this breakage.  However, the user community's
need for that kind of distinction strikes me as possibly not trivial.

Which kind of distinction?  I don't quite understand what you are saying
(trying to say?) here, I think.
--
Sincerely,
srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl