Re: my silly little recipe doesn't work

1996-08-06 18:17:14

Hi.  My two cents worth:

My ISP runs procmail as the local delivery agent.

I try to sort the mail into separate mailboxes there before downloading
it for delivery on my Linux box.

I intend for the following recipe to catch mail addressed to
donnalee(_at_)dlh(_dot_)com and put it in $HOME/Mail/donnalee. Instead, her
mail just falls through and ends up in the system mailbox.

# Catching personal mail

# First, for Donna
:0 c:
* ^TO_donnalee(_at_)dlh\(_dot_)com
$HOME/Mail/donnalee

The "c" flag there should cause it to *also* fall through.

Two or three people have pointed this out. The recipe above is one
of a string of four - there are people who send the same message to
more than one of us and I want this thing to sort it out for each of
the addressees. I tried to keep it short and only included one recipe.

Stan noticed that the word "just" above suggests I had checked the
donnalee file.

More importantly, is your procmail version recent enough to
recognize "^TO_" and not just "^TO"?

That looks like it is probably my problem. I haven't seen a match on
any of the personal recipes yet, but the verbose log file that another
writer suggested shows it failing to match
<elaborate regular expression>_donnalee and that underscore would not
be there if it were interpreting "^TO_" as a macro name.

Thank-you, Stan and two others who provided help.

My complete problem is probably becoming more common in this recent
internet market:

I have a normal dialup ppp account with static ip number from one of
the older ISPs. I'm running Linux. I have six domain names that resolve
down to this system - dlh.com (that's me), Chalcedon.edu, AMVision.org,
Theonomic.org, and NatReformAssn.org (all of which are non-profits I
have some connection with), and TESInc.org (a long standing uucp
neighbor who wants me to absorb a hassle for him).

My ISP is content to, at no extra charge, provide name service for those
domain names and funnel the mail to me. When they provide backup MX
records and sendmail to sendmail it to me, we end up sending out
those horrible warnings that sendmail has not been able to deliver the
mail for four hours but it will keep trying. So they currently have
their sendmail resolving it all into one mailbox for me to sort.

I'm engaged in trying to write a .procmailrc that will sort it all
into a bunch of mailboxes again (they do use procmail as the local
delivery agent, though, apparently, an old version).

And, on dlh.com, "deliver" is still the local delivery agent because
I have not succeeded in making procmail connect in correctly. (I made
one serious try, no mail came through, and I restored the previous
configuration {praise the Lord, it still existed!} and worked on other
parts of the problem.)

Is there a good solution for this system?

dan    dlh(_at_)dlh(_dot_)com