Re: ^TO regexp question

1996-08-12 13:45:45
John Conover asked a question about ":(.*[a-zA-Z])?" in the expansion of ^TO,
which I answered, and the John followed up,

| Thanks for clearing that up Dave.

"Dave"?  Anyhow,

| So what is ^TO and ^TO_? I don't seem to have any docs on them ...

Huh?  John, ^TO is what you just asked about.  ^TO_ is a variant that Stephen
has recently introduced.  You do have docs on ^TO: the very section of the
procmailrc(5) man page you were quoting before.  If your version of procmail
is recent enough to support ^TO_, it is described in the same place.  Here's
the excerpt from that man page as it comes with version 3.11pre4:

       If  the regular expression contains `^TO_' it will be sub-
       stituted by `(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-
       Envelope|Apparently(-Resent)?)-To):(.*[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])?)',
       which should catch all destination specifications
       containing a specific address.

       If  the  regular expression contains `^TO' it will be sub-
       stituted by `(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-
       Envelope|Apparently(-Resent)?)-To):(.*[^a-zA-Z])?)', which
       should catch all destination specifications containing a
       specific word.

So ^TO hasn't changed after all.  I thought it now forbade matches to strings
that end in digits or underscores, but it allows them.  ^TO_ will not match
a string that ends in a letter of the alphabet, a digit, an underscore, a
period, or a hyphen.