Re: Passing extended character sets through procmail

1996-08-12 11:51:59
Does procmail allow for extended character sets to pass through it...
that is, if I sent an 8bit message will the 8th bit be chewed off by
procmail and spit in the bit-bucket? I installed 8.7.5 sendmail and
procmail at the same time and have checked my .cf file for O7False and it
exists but 8bit messages no longer are going through and I am wondering
if it has to do with procmail...?

Micah

Right out of the procmail man page:

        Procmail is NFS-resistant and eight-bit clean.

If you believe that procmail is guilty of a bug, simply pipe some mail
through procmail without involving sendmail at all:

  testrc:
    :0
    newmail

    % procmail -m testrc <some-8bit-e-mail
    % cmp some-8bit-e-mail newmail

If the high bits are stripped, every line will show different.

The more likely cause is a non-8-bit-clean filter being run within
procmail, or sendmail is not configured correctly (old frozen config
file still running?).

Alan Stebbens <stebbens(_at_)sgi(_dot_)com>      http://reality.sgi.com/stebbens
Digital TV, Silicon Interactive Group,  Silicon Graphics, Inc.  (SGI)
M/S:9L991,     2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.,     Mountain View, CA   94043
PGP Key Fingerprint: 94 A7 4B AB 1C F0 4D 92  DD BC B5 D7 11 A0 DC B3