Re: splitting up digest and sending _each_messge_ to a program

1996-08-10 12:30:13
Timothy Luoma asked,

| I am currently using this to split up a digest:

| :0:
| *^Subject: NeXT Miscellaneous digest
| | formail -m 4 +1 -des >>Computer-Stuff/NeXT-Usenet/csn-misc.mbox/mbox

| Is there a way to add to this recipe or modify it in such a way
| that I could send eac message within this digest through another
| pipe?  What I'd really like to do is something like this:

| :0:
| *^Subject: NeXT Miscellaneous digest
| | formail -m 4 +1 -des | appnmail csn-misc

| However, if used like this, 'appnmail' puts the entire thing as one
| big message at the end of 'csn-misc'.

Well, yes, that is what you are doing: feeding the complete output of formail
to appnmail.

| So what I need to do is be able to feed 'appnmail' each messaage as
| it comes  from the 'formail' splitting of the digest.

Take the pipe symbol out and use formail -s to fork programs as it was
originally conceived:

  :0:name_for_the_lockfile
  *^Subject: NeXT Miscellaneous digest
  | formail -m 4 +1 -des appnmail csn-misc

The original use of formail -s was "formail -s program", where formail
invoked the name program for each message it split from the input.  To
get the output of formail simply written to stdout, you needed to say
"formail -s cat" in those days.

Note, however, that procmail has nothing to infer a name from for the local
lockfile.  If you do need a local lockfile on that recipe, you have to
specify a name for it after the second colon.

Here's a question: what does appnmail do that is special?