Using Procmail with MIME messages

1996-08-14 09:50:38
I haven't seen this one (lately) on the list, so I thought I'd ask:

We have a new mail gateway for our LAN mail system that's supposed to deal
with MIME-encoded mail messages.  Trouble is, it's kind of braindead about
parsing Content-type: fields from some mail systems (AOL among others).
Naturally there's lots of vendor fingerpointing about who's compatible and
who's not.  It *does* decode the MIME messages sent from pine.

What I'd like to be able to do is use procmail to receive a message, decode
all the parts, then rencode the parts and reassemble the parts and forward
it on the users who's supposed to get it.

I guess I know that procmail will do the receiving and resending, but does
anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use to get the parts out and
then get the message reassemble with the appropriate MIME headers?

I've looked at metamail and it's assicated files, but I don't see how to
use them to reassemble a MIME messages..

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Shawn Barnhart, Network Administrator
Campbell Mithun Esty Advertising