Procmail vs. MailTool on a Sun

1996-08-20 10:39:03
Greetings,

I've recently started trying to use procmail, and have just joined
this mailing list.  I've compiled procmail and everything works fine,
but I seem to have a conflict between procmail and Sun's Mailtool
utility.  I've been unable to find a solution in the documentation
that came with procmail, or in a set of archived messages from this
list, so I guess it's time to wade right in.

The problem is this:  Procmail works just fine as long as Mailtool
isn't running.  However, if Mailtool is running and procmail needs
to place a message in the same mail file that Mailtool has open, it
sits and waits.  If Mailtool is told to "Load in-box" or "Save
Changes" while procmail is waiting to add a message, Mailtool then
hangs.  So, I end up with both procmail and Mailtool seemingly
deadlocked.

Since both programs seem to be waiting, I assume that there is some
sort of locking going on, but that something's not quite right.  Is
anyone aware of a fix for this?  If it's been documented before,
please point me to the info.  If I missed the answer in the included
documentation, then just point me to the appropriate file.

Some specifics if needed:

        procmail version 3.10
        Solaris version 2.5.1
        MailTool version 3.5.1

While I'm not particularly fond of Mailtool, I'm stuck with it
unless I can find another mail program that handles attachments
well.

Thanks,

Andre
(Buried under a ton of mail and desperate to get procmail up and
running)
Andre Molyneux                       Sun Microsystems Computer Company
Return path:  andrem(_at_)eng(_dot_)sun(_dot_)com     Menlo Park, California