Autosubscribing mailing lists

1996-09-15 17:58:59
Hi,

I've got procmail filtering running just fine, but I haven't had to change
things in a while - so I'm quite rusty.

I'm the owner of a couple of mailing lists here at Netcom.  Now, the real
problem is that Netcom stinks - I've been trying for nine months to make my
lists closed, and they won't respond to phone calls or email.  Nine months!
Netcom also disabled the writeconfig majordomo command for some reason I
don't understand.

My problem (besides the ISP) is that my lists are constantly getting spammed
-- fake subscriptions every day.  Lots.  Last night I had about twenty AOL
addresses added to all my lists.

What I'd like to do (while I can't make my lists "closed") is to use
procmail to automatically unsubscribe everyone that subscribes via the
normal majordomo list server, and send the subscriber a message saying
"Return this message if you REALLY want to subscribe".   Then when that
message is returned use procmail to automatically subscribe them to the list.

First - does anyone on this list already do this?

Second, can someone help me with the $MATCH syntax?  I get a message body like:

  someoneat(_at_)aol(_dot_)com has been added to foobar-list
  No action is required on your part.

So I'd need to extract the email address to send the "Are you sure?" message.

Is it just:

:0 B
*.* has been added to foobar-list
{
   SUBSCRIBER=$MATCH

   # send unsubscirbe to listserver
   # send message to SUBSCRIBER asking to confirm
}

Third, what would be the best way to detect the "Are you sure?" message when
it is replied to me?  I worry that if I use an X-header that it may get
stripped in the reply.  Is this a valid concern?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide!

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com