Re: sendmail & procmail - recipients

1996-09-15 19:06:17

I've been working on these same problems for several months.  Both solutions
you proposed are exactly what has been proposed to me.

1) Have sendmail insert the correct recipient under a new header field.
Examples: add 'X-Envelope-To: user3(_at_)JonSpewak(_dot_)com' or 'X-Recipient:
user3(_at_)JonSpewak(_dot_)com'.  Then procmailrc can look at that header
instead of ^TO.

2) Have sendmail copy the real recipient into a variable that gets passed
to procmail when executed.  So that procmail can look at $RECIPIENT or $1
or whatever to find out who the correct message recipient should be.  Then
procmailrc can look at the variable instead of ^TO.

Unfortunatly, both are Sendmail issues.  The first one, NOBODY has every
been able to tell me how to do it.  I'm about 3/4 of the way through
Avolio & Vixie's book "Sendmail: Theory and Practice" so I can try to figure
it out myself :)  I've posted to comp.mail.sendmail with no responce on
how to do it.  The one person I talked to via email said it was in the
procmail docs, which I've searched through several times and can't find.

The last, I was able to work, although I still don't have all the bugs out.
If you can get your Administrator to change it, all I did was use the
"mailertable" that is built into sendmail 8.x.  It passes the envelope
receipient to procmail as $1.

If he won't do either, I think your SOL.

Dan T.