Re: sendmail & procmail - recipients

1996-09-17 07:44:16
On Monday 16 September 96, at 18 h 30, the keyboard of "Dan T."
<dragon(_at_)dragon(_dot_)cyberhighway(_dot_)net> wrote:

with no X-Envelope-To header.  I've seen in another post and in the
sendmail docs, that if you remove the "F=m" flag from your Mailer, it will
deliver the message once for each recipient, instead of just once for the
local user delivered too.

No, this is not how I understand it. According to the "Sendmail
operations guide" (doc/op.me), "m : This mailer can send to multiple
users on the same host  in  one transaction.  When a $u macro occurs in
the _a_r_g_v part of the  mailer  definition,  that field will be
repeated as necessary for all qualifying users.". So, you can call
programs like uux (for UUCP) only once, saving system resources.

But omitting the "m" flag doesn't prevent sendmail to "suppress
duplicates". This is done long before calling the "local" mailer, in
recipient.c (I checked source code only in sendmail 8.8beta, your mileage
may vary, see function "recipient"). Run sendmail with debug 26.something
and you'll see the duplicates suppressed from the queue.

Important: it doesn't seem there is an option to change sendmail's
behaviour. Ideally, you would like to suppress this consolidation only
for some users.

I've read at least 10 different web docs explaining how to do virtual email,
but EVERY one of them only says how to get mail into a single mailbox or
to use dbm files maintained by the Mail admin.  Has anyone used procmail
successfully to where the domain owner can maintain thier own .procmailrc
AND have it work with multiple recipients and Bcc recipients?

I'm afraid sendmail aliases, because of the "duplicate suppression", are
not completely suitable for that. procmail will have no chance to see all
the messages.