Re: sendmail & procmail - recipients

1996-09-18 03:53:50
On Tuesday 17 September 96, at 16 h 40, the keyboard of Stephane
Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer(_at_)pasteur(_dot_)fr> wrote:

I'm afraid sendmail aliases, because of the "duplicate suppression", are
not completely suitable for that. procmail will have no chance to see all
the messages.

There is a discussion going on comp.mail.sendmail about it. Here is a
good summary:

------ Forwarded Article
<DxqoJo(_dot_)Gq(_at_)djwhome(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
------ From david(_at_)djwhome(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk (David Woolley)

In article <5172q2$92t(_at_)host-3(_dot_)cyberhighway(_dot_)net>,
Dan T. <dragon(_at_)cyberhighway(_dot_)net> wrote:

They said have sendmail create a "Envelope-To:" header that contains the
original recipient of the message.  You should use this to sort your mail
at the final destination.

This is a non-standard header.  The real problem though is that sendmail
will only deliver one copy, even if there are multiple addressees,
including blind copy addresses.  This means that the receiving end will
have to strip this, something that can't, for example, be done with
Pegasus, if privacy is to be maintained.

Another common trick is to rely on the to address in the Received:
audit trail line, but this only works if there is only one recipient
covered by the POP3 mailbox.

The best trick I have seen is to rewrite user(_at_)domain(_dot_)com to
user-domain(_at_)isp(_dot_)com(_dot_)  This needs multiple POP3 sessions and
some sort
of administrative support for handling the multiple passwords (possibly
hacking the POP daemon to strip user- before looking up the password).

So far; however, I haven't gotten an answer on how to do this.

I think you would need to create a non-standard "local" delivery agent
which actually behaves as though the mailbox is a next hop host and
adds the destination addresses into this new header.  You could probably
also burst into individual messages this way and therefore avoid
disclosing BCC recipients.  This may be useful for splitting mail to
get distinct Received: lines with the standard local mailer.
--
David Woolley, London, England
david(_at_)djwhome(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk

------ End of Forwarded Article