Listproc and message-ID's

1996-09-16 06:06:23

I am subscribed to a mailing list that is managed by Listproc 6.0c. The
submissions are sent in digest mode (mandatory, to reduce the system load
on the server.) Recently, I noticed that listproc sets the message-ID of
a digest equal to that of the last message in the digest. (At least
sometimes.)

I use procmail to split up the digest and then I feed the individual
messages back to procmail. (Using the same .procmailrc, because I want to
detect duplicate messages - in case I've been Cc:'d - and send
unsubscription messages to a separate folder.)

I tried to change the Message-ID: header on the digest with this recipe.
(When I split up the digest, I also add the X-Loop: header, to prevent
mail loops.)

:0fh
* ^From(_dot_)*wfrp(_at_)buddha(_dot_)(intecom|incite).com
* ^TOwfrp(_at_)buddha(_dot_)(intecom|incite).com
* ! ^X-Loop: ggeens(_at_)elis\(_dot_)rug\(_dot_)ac\(_dot_)be
* ^Subject:.*\[WFRP:[0-9]*\].*digest
| formail -A Message-ID:

After this, I check for duplicate messages. However, this doesn't seem to
work. the formail -A Message-ID: does not change an existing Message-ID
tag, and nor does -a.
formail(1) says:
     -a headerfield
          Append a custom headerfield  onto  the  header;  but  only  if  a
          similar  field  does not exist yet.  If you specify either one of
          the field names Message-ID: or Resent-Message-ID: with  no  field
          contents, then formail will generate a unique message-ID for you.

     -A headerfield
          Append a custom headerfield onto the header in any case.

I would think that formail -A Message-ID: would generate a new ID tag,
even when there already is one. Is this a bug? I have procmail 3.10

I think my problem can be solved by this:
:0
* ^From(_dot_)*wfrp(_at_)buddha(_dot_)(intecom|incite).com
* ^TOwfrp(_at_)buddha(_dot_)(intecom|incite).com
* ! ^X-Loop: ggeens(_at_)elis\(_dot_)rug\(_dot_)ac\(_dot_)be
{ } # do nothing

:0E
{
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/dupcheck.rc  # Trash duplicate messages
}

If I do recieve the same digest twice, then the individual messages will
be eaten by the dupcheck mechanism.

- --
Guy Geens <guy(_dot_)geens(_at_)elis(_dot_)rug(_dot_)ac(_dot_)be>: Ph.D.
student at ELIS -- TFCG / IMEC
Home Page: http://www.elis.rug.ac.be/ELISgroups/tfcg/staff/gg.html
finger ggeens(_at_)elis(_dot_)rug(_dot_)ac(_dot_)be for PGP public keys (or use
keyserver)

    "Prohibition goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to
    control a man's appetite by legislation and makes crimes out of things
    that are not crimes. A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very
    principles upon which our government was founded."
                        - Abraham Lincoln