Re: Help requested....

1996-10-13 07:40:18
On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Tim wrote:

    Hi all of you procmail's gurus ;-)),

    I have recently installed procmail and everything is working fine
    except a little point:

    I can't launch any program with the '|' action.
    It just simply doesn't work: Instead of launching the action
    (whatever it is: awk script, cat, lpr), I reveive a copy
    of the mail, although I didn't use the 'c' flag.

# This one works perfectly:
# Test recipe: Catenate all files with subject : inscrip
# to the file $HOME/Mail/cine
:0 hbW:
* ^(Subject).*!(Inscrip|inscrip)
| cat >> cine

Second, I would suggest you give the FULL path for the file you are
CATing to (i.e., "$HOME/Mail/cine").

Lastly, set the LOG file to maximum verbosity and give us the output to
examine.  Perhaps even the complete "~/.procmailrc" file would even be
appropriate to send here if it isn't TOO long.  :^)

If he posts a compleate log, we will probably see that his mail was
recovered successfully.  :-)  Which explains how his test messages get
through.

From the looks of things - he has no path statement.  So procmail is
looking for cat, and can't find it.  (How unusual, a hard to find cat. :)

If he isn't using a Path statement, the the hard path of the program
called needs to be specified.

And on a realted issue:

Recently someone on the list asked why people would use a variable to
specify formail when it could be easily found with a path.  I use $FORMAIL
for two reasons:

1)  On Netcom, occassionally the primary location of formail is down.  :(
By defining FORMAIL with a test, I am almost always going to have formail.

2)  On NYX, procmail (and related material) is not in a directory readily
accessable by a path.  Not worth the effort of adding it to the Path for
the one program.  So, by setting FORMAIL, it is easier to understand than
a multi-line Path statement.

--
Alden's Laws:
        (1) Giving away baby clothes and furniture is the major cause