Re: Newbie .forward not working

1996-10-21 15:51:11
Dwight Johnson <djohnson(_at_)olympus(_dot_)net> writes:
I set up procmail using the man page and it works when I
postprocess the mail with the shell script from the man page. But
when I place .forward in $HOME it does absolutely nothing.

This is my .forward:

"|IFS=' '&&exec /usr/bin/procmail -f-||exit 75 #djohnson"

ls-l shows:

-rw-rw-r--   1 djohnson djohnson       58 Oct 21 09:39 .forward

I am using Red Hat Linux 3.0.3, procmail-3.10, sendmail-8.7.6.

Is the prog mailer in the sendmail.cf mention smrsh?  If so, then
you need to put a link to or copy of procmail in smrsh's bin directory,
then change your .forward file to read:

        "|procmail -f-"

To find what smrsh's bin directory is, try:

        strings `which smrsh` | grep /usr

and look for something like "/usr/lib/sm.bin" or "/usr/sbin/sm.bin",
or *something* along those lines.

If you're not using smrsh, then check sendmail's log file, which is
whereever syslog is dumping mail stuff.

Philip Guenther