Re: Question on scoring

1996-11-06 01:03:48
On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, David W. Tamkin wrote:

wotan(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com asked,

| Recently I have been trying to use scoring to filter my mail.
|
| However, when I use this line:
|
|      :0
|          * 100^3   > 2000
|      test-box

Reread the procmailsc(5) manual page.  That condition will score, where S is
the actual size of the message, 100 x (S/2000)^3, which will be positive if S
is positive.  If that is the only condition on that recipe, then any message
that runs into it will be stored in test-box.

Thats what i thought should happen, but it didn't work.

Although I've been using a new telnet client and might have misread a
character when typing in the rc.  :(

| Otherwise, my scored rc's seem to be doing what I want them to do.

Well, what exactly are you trying to do there?  Unless you're saving $=
for use in a later recipe -- and you probably aren't because that recipe is
delivering -- scoring doesn't make sense on a recipe with only one condition.

What I have been doing is use scoring to handle most unwanted e-mail.  As
I have ebeen sure a condition is working like I want it to, I add it to my
score.rc.

Which is why I was using only one condition.  When I was sure that this
worked, i add it to the other conditions.

And it is working for handling annoyances.  But I haven't been spammed in
a week so I don't know how the latest conditions work.  :(

As a secondary issue, is using just one rc to filter unwanted e-mail a
good idea since I plan on treating it all the same way?

--
The steady state of disks is full.
                --Ken Thompson