Re: Help a beginner?

1996-11-19 18:25:24
"Devin Redlich" <devin(_at_)sedar(_dot_)com> writes:
I'm trying to set up a mail server with Sendmail 8.8.2 and procmail 3.10.
Procmail is currently configured just as it was installed off the Redhat CD
(ie. I've done no customization).  Now, the problem is that mail delivered
to the individual users mailboxes sometimes gets screwed up.  The From
header sometimes becomes FFrom and the next From becomes rom.  I've been
told this is a locking problem.  Now, none of my users have .procmailrc
files and the default install hasn't provided me with a global procmailrc
file either (do I need one if I'm not filtering any mail?).

Running "procmail -v" tells me I'm using the "dotlocking" locking strategy.

The only way I can see this happening is if procmail doesn't have write
permissions to the mailspool (is it NFS mounted?).  If the spooldir isn't
world writable, and procmail isn't running setuid root, then I suppose
this could happen.  However, it should write it to the LOGFILE, if set.
Try giving yourself a .procmailrc that says:

        LOGFILE = procmail.log
        VERBOSE = on

Then send yourself a message a check the log.

Please reply directly to me since I'm sure this problem is too basic to
bother all list members with the solution.  Many thanks.

Actually, I think this is rare enough that answering to the list may be
useful.  If someone thinks otherwise they are free to complain to me.

Philip Guenther