Skimming files out of a mail folder (semi-procmail related question).

1996-11-27 14:26:21
Greetings procmail folks,

    I have a project that will be using procmail to do what it does best,
    directing certain mail messages into a particular mail folder based on
    some header criteria (in this case, the "To:" address).

    While procmail is collecting these messages, every once in a while,
    (outside of procmail) I want to process them using an interactive
    program. My question is; what is the best way to quickly remove the
    messages from the folder before processing them.  For example, would
    something like:

        % mv foo-folder new-requests            # rename the folder
        % touch foo-folder                      # make a new empty one
        % my-processor <new-requests            # process last batch of msgs.

    do the trick -- that is, give me access to the latest batch of messages
    collected in the foo-folder without messing up procmail and without the
    possibility of dropping a message on the floor that might happen to
    arrive while I'm doing the switch-a-roo?  Or is there a better and
    safer approach to this?

    Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

                                                        Later....BC