Re: Not getting mail to one of mailboxes..

1996-12-12 20:45:38

[Can you please trim your lines to around 70 characters?  Your mail
agent appears to be trying to wrap them, but it fails to join them as
it goes.  Thanks!]

hshaw(_at_)successnet(_dot_)net (Terrelle Shaw) writes:
Hello all..I have installed procmail as a local delivery agent on my linux
box, which
is running as our web server. We have several "virtual" hosts that want an
"info"
mailbox. So i put some entries in the .procmailrc file to handle this. (see
below)

I have been runnin this for a while, but just noticed that mail sent to
info(_at_)successnet(_dot_)net gets dumped into a "dead.letter" file under the
procmail
dir.
When i set this up some time ago, i do remember the "vitural" sites were getti
ng
mail. Also below i have a tail of the log file partaining to the info email.
Can anyone
shed some light as to why "info(_at_)successnet(_dot_)net" can't recieve any
mail? Mind y
ou
info(_at_)successnet(_dot_)net is a REAL acct. on the mail server. I have
tried not
even having an entry for "info(_at_)successnet(_dot_)net", but that still
didnt correct
the problem..

How is it that mail sent to <info(_at_)cacybermall(_dot_)com> ends up being
processed by the .procmailrc on the "info" account.  Is
"cacybermall.com" in class 'w' in your sendmail.cf?  If so, you should
consider the fact that this configuration (as opposed to one based on
the mailertable feature) can *LOSE* email, or (worse) forward it to the
wrong address!  Why?  You've lost the 'envelope' recipient information
which is what you need to decide where to forward the message.

If you can sleep at night knowing that (or you don't care at all), and
my guesses above were right, then you could try replacing the last recipe
(the problem one) with something like:

:0:
* ^TOinfo(_at_)successnet(_dot_)net
$DEFAULT

After all, this is being run as the "info" user, no?

If, however, you're interested in a virtual domain solution that
handles all the tricky parts of virtual domains, like Bcc's and mailing
lists, then you should consider browsing the procmail archive, as I
laid out exactly how to do virtual domains correctly on 26 Nov. in a
response with a subject of "Re: Can't come up with the right
recipe...".  If you're not sure how to get to the archive, try mailing
a message with "help" in the body to
        procmail-request(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE

Philip Guenther