Deleting mailfile!

1996-12-16 08:59:26

Hi Stephen,

I make a try and see if this address is still valid.

I just fetched procmail, version 3.11pre4 from 95-10-29.  After reading
all info a couple of times, and utilizing try-and-error, I managed to do
what I wanted, but...

Background:

I support an Ericsson product which is an RPC application for UNIX (NT/
Win95) to the IBM mainframe. What I want to do is to establish a new
way to report errors, Trouble Reports, on this product.

Therefore I made a form which can be filled in from our home-page. Since
I'm not familiar with cgi-programming, I just used the standard form,
which uses mail to send the form (I don't have access to the cgi-library
anyway). Fine! I get the form nicelly and easy. My next thought was to auto-
matically generate the posted form an errand number, and to move it to a
special TRbox. My thoughts went to procmail, which I heard someone else
used in order to get a 'popping' sound each time a mail came.

My question/bug-report is a follows:

The mailbox which is used has permission 666, i.e. everyone is autho-
rized to read and delete mails. Then one funny thing happened when I
started to use procmail. The mailbox disappeared! and a new, empty, one
was created with permission 600. After a few tests, I came to the con-
clusion that if the mailbox has permission 600, it works as expected, BUT
if it on the other hand has permission 666, it removes the old mailfile,
creates a new empty one, and processes the incoming (new) mail. Not very
nice since I now cannot answer the ones who sent the old Trouble Report's
(good we have backup's on tape).

Is there a newer version which fixes this? Or is there a way to circum-
vent it?

Regards,
/Richard Nilsson at qdtrini(_at_)toedts1(_dot_)ericsson(_dot_)se