Formail and re-writing headers

1996-12-16 14:14:46
Hi,

I'm having a devil of a time getting Formail/Smartlist and the Netscape
Mail server to play nicely on the creation of the "From:" header.

Specifically, my problem is this...if I don't put in my rc.local.s20 a
-R From: Reply-To: line, then all mail comes to the list as if it is
from the list, with no obvious trace of who actually sent the message.

If you expand the headers, there is often a clue, but it's not
obvious....putting the original senders address as a Reply-To seemed
like the best way to make sure people could always see who the original
sender was (not all email clients generate a Reply-To header on their
own).

The problem now is that The "Sender" is listed as the email address of
the list, rather than a nicer version such as "Unix Mailing List" -- so
what I'd like to know is how can I force formail to do BOTH of the
above...to insert a Reply-To: which is equal to the original sender of
the message and then insert a new From: line so that mail clients see
that the message is from "Unix Mailing List <unix(_at_)domain(_dot_)edu>"...

Sorry that this message is not entirely clear, I've spent all afternoon
trying to do this with different options and have sent over 300 test
messages...

Scott