Re: calling 'procmail' recursively

1996-12-17 05:28:48
On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Timothy J Luoma wrote:

What I would _like_ to do, is have the messages be sent to
"proc-filter", and when proc-filter is done with what it has to do,
I would like it to send the individual messages that came from the
digest _back_ to the top of the procmailrc, so processing can begin
all over again (I can check for spammers, certain Subject lines I
want to dump, etc).

        Well what you want to do is setup some new headers in this filter
group, which it actually looks like that's what your doing (assuming
that's why you pass the newsgroup name).

Is it as easy as making the last part of "proc-filter"

:0: procmail-recusive-call.lock
|procmail

Nah, can't be that easy.

        Actually it's eaiser than that, you don't need that lockfile at
all.  Any lockfiling that you have to worry about would be handled later.
So assume that you put an 'X-Luomat-Lists:' header in each message, after
you've done the spam filtering and all that you would have a recipie that
would catch on that X-L-L header and file it away accordingly.  And that
would be the only time you would need lockfiles, and as long as your other
programs don't need funny lockfiles the default ones should be fine.

James V. Di Toro III            | "I've got a bad feeling        / |_| \/\
System Administrator, GATS, Inc.|   about This" -various        |()\ /  ||
   karrde(_at_)gats(_dot_)hampton(_dot_)va(_dot_)us     |
www.gats.hampton.va.us        \ / \ /
webmaster(_at_)gats(_dot_)hampton(_dot_)va(_dot_)us     |
          ^:::^