help with calling procmail from .forward

1996-12-19 12:28:46
Hello.

I'm having trouble with invoking procmail from my $HOME/.forward file,
and would appreciate any help.

I read mail on my local machine running Solaris 2.5. My mail directory
(/var/mail/vijay) is mounted from a server machine running SunOS 4.1.3

I have procmail installed on a local disk on my machine, which is _not_
exported to the server.

The .forward mechanism does not seem to work at all. I first tried all
the different combinations for the .forward given in the filtering
mail FAQ, with the same effect always:

From Mailer-Daemon Mon Dec 16 16:42:25 1996
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 96 16:42:02 PST
From: Mailer-Daemon (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: Service unavailable
To: Postmaster

sh: procmail not available for sendmail programs
554 "| /export/home/vijay/procmail-3.10/bin/procmail #vijay"... Service
unavailable

I then went through the procmail archives, and saw that smrsh might be
the problem. However, neither my machine, nor the mail host, have
smrsh, so I got my Sys. admin. to download and compile smrsh on my
machine (not on the mail host). I also created a soft link to procmail
in /var/adm/sm.bin

However, I still get the same kind of errors, although now sh
complains about not using "&" and ";" in my .forward.

Even if I call procamil directly, as in
"| /export/home/vijay/procmail-3.10/bin/procmail #vijay",
the Mailer-daemon still sends mail to root with the message "procmail
unavailable".

I have no idea what to do next, and would appreciate any help with
solving this problem.

thanks,
Vijay