Parsing a mail header: options processing in procmail

1996-12-27 08:36:16

I would like to implement a program, based on procmail, which can have
many options (it is actually a Web<->mail gateway, mostly for African
users, who do not have easy and cheap IP access).

I can see two ways to do the option processing: have procmail recognize
the message is for the gateway, then feed it entirely to it and let the
program do the processing. Or try to do as much as possible in procmail.

The latter seems really not convenient. I would like the program to allow
requests such as:

To: wwwmail(_at_)me(_dot_)org
Subject: get http://www.pasteur.fr/ mime images recursion=2

and this will need the identification of all the options above, some
having an additional value. This doesn't really seem a job for procmail.
At least, I didn't find a way to do it.

Is it hopeless in procmail? Should I give in?