Re: POP3 server and procmail?

1997-01-07 22:06:55
At 06:12 AM 1/7/97 -0800, you wrote:

What software would be responsible, for setting up POP accounts on a
server running Solaris 2.5?  If you wanted to sell extra POP boxes to a
I.P. account, what would be involved?  Can anybody enlighten me?
(Please know that I am a very rank beginner with Unix or system adm.
tasks.  Thanks.)

Altho it would be helpful to know what mail software you're running now, I
am running into a very similar problem.

I'm working on Sun Netra i-servers with the addled Netra version of Solaris
2.5. This configuration gives you an old version of Sendmail (8.6.3 I
believe... most recent is 8.8.2) that has "For Solaris Only" changes...

The provided version of Sendmail does not (or at least not easily) support
virtual domains / mailboxes. Supposably Version 8.8.2 does support this,
but the sendmail.cf file that comes with the provided version of Sendmail
will *not* work for version 8.8.2.

I'm heavily looking at QMail, as it's easier to configure, uses *much* less
CPU than sendmail and supports virtual domains, etc. It's also easily
extensible, and as a programmer that's good news for me.

This is the extent of my knowledge..... now for the iffy's:

I *think* that smail and procmail is mainly for delivering local mail...
i.e. working with mail once it hits a particular server or machine. For
mail forwarding, etc. to other machines, IP's, virtual domains, across the
Internet, etc. you need software like QMail or Sendmail... am I right, or
am I full of condensed milk???

Someone with more brains than I (shouldn't be too hard to find... ;-)
please step in anytime!

Thanks,
"Merch"
Roger "Merch" Merchberger | On the first day of Christmas my True Love
Programmer, NorthernWay   | gave to me: A Beer. -- Bob & Doug McKenzie
zmerch(_at_)northernway(_dot_)net    | ====>  Like, take off, eh hoser!!!!
<====
http://home.northernway.net/~zmerch/