Re: an unofficial procmail/smartlist webpage

1997-01-09 10:10:34
On Mon, 30 Dec 1996, Wotan wrote:
On Mon, 30 Dec 1996, era eriksson wrote:
In reference to this general topic, it surprises me that nobody has
yet (as far as I've noticed) mentioned Nancy McGough's "Filtering Mail
FAQ". This is a very thorough, very easy (albeit detailed)
step-by-step instruction for getting started with Procmail (among
other programs).

Actually, someone did mention it.  The comments were that it was too hard
to follow and required more than a novice's knowledge of UNIX.

Speaking of which, is she going to be writing the book for O'Reilly on
using Procmail?  Or is this a dead project?

This is the first time I've looked at this list in a while so sorry I
didn't respond earlier.  1996 was a tumultuous year for me -- I moved
across the country to work for O'Reilly and then decided it wasn't the
right thing for me to be doing and Cambridge, Mass. was not where I
wanted to be.  Now I've moved to New York City (and I love it here!)
and I'm deciding what to focus on.  My main focus is math and
philosophy of math but I'm still thinking a lot about the Internet,
especially IMAP and mail filtering.  I'd like to work on Web pages, and
possibly a book, about these Internet things with you all. Fortunately,
I still have a good relationship with O'Reilly so if we decide to
publish a book, O'Reilly would probably be happy to be our publisher.

I have a few questions for you all that I think are essential to the
long-term success of procmail:

What are the plans, if any, to
 * port procmail to Win95 and NT?
 * create a GUI interface for procmail?
 * allow editing of procmail files via ACAP?
   (ACAP info is at http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/cyrus/acap/)

Thanks,
Nancy