auto reply

1997-01-09 09:46:06
I'm very new to procmail and I'm trying to help someone generate an
automatic response to an email addressed to, say: XXXX(_at_)domain(_dot_)com

any mail going to this alias needs to do 3 things:

    1. execute a script which increments a counter so the message the
       get has a line like:

       your case number is: xxx

       which is one higher than the previous one.

       I was able to get this to work with the following:

:0ci
  | /users/XXXX/countmail.ksh  # output of which is file called: auto_response

    2. I need to have the auto_response file delivered to the sender

       ( I haven't gotten this to work, I don't think formail is getting the
       sender's name passed from the previous recipe )

   Here's what I tried:

:0hb
* !^FROM_DAEMON
* ^To:.XXXX*
* ^Subject:.info*
  | (formail -r -A"Precedence: bulk" ; \
     /bin/cat /users/XXXX/auto_response) | $SENDMAIL -t

  3. I need the orginal message sent to dev null

:0c
* ^To:.XXXX*
/dev/null

  Still undergoing testing, I've sent mail to this id.
  At times I see the formail appear in the logfile, but the
  reply never shows up in my inbox nor does syslog show
  an outbound message is being generated.

I know given time, I could probably work this out, but the end-user
needs a solution relatively soon.

Thanks Much,
Paul Keller