Re: BLASTED MAIL: [fetchmail]/formail/sendmail in root crontab

1997-02-03 02:58:43
On Friday 31 January 97, at 10 h 57, the keyboard of Eliot Sabath-Levitt
<eslevitt(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com> wrote:

Now my ip-up entry is now:

sendmail -q
fetchmail

I don't know fetchmail well enough but, according to the documentation,
this should work:

fetchmail --mda /usr/local/bin/procmail

(Yes, fetchmail's documentation tells to go through sendmail and not to
call procmail directly but, after reading source code, I disagree.)

That way, you do not introduce an extra delay. Note that procmail will
have trouble, in any case, to figure out who was the recipient (no,
headers like To: do not help, think about mailing-lists or Bcc:). You
should try to find a way to pass arguments to procmail, more or less like
that (not tested):

fetchmail --mda "/usr/local/bin/procmail RECIPIENT=$POPUSER" --username
$POPUSER

The good way to retrieve mail for several users when you are
dialup-connected is still UUCP.