Re: Help!

1997-02-03 23:44:51
On Mon, 3 Feb 1997 22:41:02 -0600 (CST),
Robert J Wilshe <rwilshe(_at_)shrike(_dot_)depaul(_dot_)edu> wrote:
I'm pretty new to this list, so please be nice to me!  While trying to

(You might want to think of something a bit more descriptive to put in
the Subject line ;^)

find out more about procmail, I intended to type "man procmail" but typed
"procmail" instead.  The prompt returned a blank line, I was a little
confused, hit the return a few more times, and nothing happened.  So, the
normal escape sequence in my shell is ^D.  I did that, and procmail

When a program is waiting for input, ^D marks the end of user input.
Whatever you typed before that might have ended up in your mailbox,
which may or may not screw up the mailbox (depending on how permissive
your mail reader is).
  If that happened, try moving the file named by the environment
variable $MAIL to another location and deal with whatever else is in
that file separately. (The mailbox format used by stock Unix mail
programs is fairly simple; just make sure each message starts with a
"From ". You might be able to fix it in your favorite editor and stick
it where you keep your read mail, then tell your mail reader to open
that file.)

returned "enforcing stricter permissions on "x", where I believe "x" was
/var/mail/$LOGNAME.  Or it might have been /usr/mail/$LOGNAME.  For some
<...>
tried the same again ( ^D in procmail ), but did not get the same
"enforcing stricter permissions" response.  Instead it did nothing.

It changed permissions on your inbox the first time. Now they're
changed so it didn't have to do it again. The manual has the details,
as usual.

Hope this helps, (and hope you're receiving this :-)

/* era */

 $ echo $MAIL
 /usr/spool/mail/reriksso

 $ man procmail | fgrep -C "Enforcing "
                       to do so.

   Enforcing stricter permissions on "x"
                       The system mailbox of the recipient was found to  be
                       unsecured, procmail secured it.

 $ finger -l rwilshe(_at_)shrike(_dot_)depaul(_dot_)edu
 [shrike.depaul.edu]
 Login name: rwilshe                    In real life: Robert J Wilshe
 Directory: /shrike/w/rwilshe           Shell: /usr/local/bin/tcsh
 Last login Mon Feb  3 23:42 on pts/64 from terminator28.dpo
 New mail received Tue Feb  4 00:21:02 1997;
   unread since Mon Feb  3 23:49:31 1997
 Plan:
 Does anyone really read plans anymore??

Apparently yes. <warbait>We also wonder why people use tcsh</warbait> :-)

--
See <http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~reriksso/> for mantra, disclaimer, etc.
* If you enjoy getting spam, I'd appreciate it if you'd register yourself