Re: mailbox in users' home directories

1997-02-04 15:02:17
bodysurf(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com (Tim) writes:
Bob Phung <bphung(_at_)tdiinc(_dot_)com> writes:
I am a system administrator.  I am trying to incorporate procmail
and sendmail such that when mail arrives at my mail hub, procmail
would automatically kicks in to do the following:

1. instead of sendmail putting the mail in users' individual mailboxes
under /var/mail, I want procmail to intervene at this time, and put
the mail in the users' mailboxes in their home directories.

PROCMAIL could do that, but why reinvent the wheel?  What you want to do
should be done with SENDMAIL.

Huh?  Sendmail does *not* deliver to people's mailboxes, unless you
have one whacked out config.  In 99.999% (if not all) of the sendmail
sites out there delivery is done by the "local" mailer.  Procmail can
be such a mailer, and by uncommenting and changing the SYSTEM_MBOX
#define in config.h in the source tree you can have it deliver mail to
a file in each user's home directory instead of "/var/spool/mail/$USER"
(or whatever).  A given user is free to override this default by
creating a .procmailrc that delivers elsewhere, of course.  If someone
told you that this should be done with sendmail, please contact them
and tell them they need to check their information better.

BTW: in normal text, all caps is generally reserved for acronyms.
Neither of the words "procmail" nor "sendmail" is an acronym.

Philip Guenther