Re: Matching repeating lines?

1997-02-10 22:06:44

:What's the most efficient way of filtering lines that are repeated more
:than <n> times?

If you're willing to settle for n=1, try the "uniq" command (but don't

That would work, except that the lines aren't identical -- each one has a
timestamp.  Uniq won't prune these lines out of the message because
they're not really identical.

        Lars,

        GNU uniq has some extensions.  Not enough of them
        (since I don't see one to specficy the field seperator)
        but probably enough for this task.

      (1) Grab the message portion of the entry
      (2) check to see if it's in TMPFILE
      (3) If not, output the line and add the message to TMPFILE

        Are you trying to remove adjacent dupes or non-adjacents
        dupes?

        We both define "dupes" the same way -- the portion of the
        line past the date and host name.

        My script provides handles adjacent dupes.  I'd feed
        my script through 'sort +4 ' (using the skip fields
        option of that utility -- which is zero based!).

        Personally I think this approach is flawed -- since
        you may miss patterns of errors that occur at longer
        intervals.

        For a more comprehensive approach to log file filtering
        you might want to look at swatch (available at Linux
        FTP sites everywhere -- it should be portable to other
        systems since it's written in perl (if I recall
        correctly).   I have to admit that I haven't used
        swatch personally since I've written my own simple
        awk script and developement my own filters for it.

        I really think we should take any further discussion
        of this topic off line, however.  I'd like to thank
        the rest of the list for their indulgence and patience
        in tolerating this off-topic thread up until this point.

--
Jim Dennis,
info(_at_)mail(_dot_)starshine(_dot_)org