Re: NULLs -- LOST EMAIL

1997-02-18 17:09:49
Timothy Luoma asked,

| I would like to know how to strip NULL characters from all incoming
| email.  I would guess that I would have to use tr and the octal
| code, but I'd like to have the advice of this group on how-to best
| go about this.

Many versions of tr strip out nulls by force and can't be told not to,
so if that's true of your tr,

   :0f
   | tr

is all you need.  If your version of tr understands nulls as just another
character, then

   :0f
   | tr -d '\000'

If the nulls are appearing only the bodies and not in the headers, then
add the `b' flag to avoid the trouble of filtering the heads.