Re: RFC-consistent regexp to match name@(subdomain.)*foo.bar

1997-02-21 20:39:23
MY QUESTION IS:
What is the purpose of the backslash-slash in the line
   * ^Subject: send-ls-list \/[a-z0-9_.-]+@([a-z0-9-]+\.)*com$
---
  There is no slash in the subject line of the incoming message, tested by:
  UNIX> mail -s "send-ls-listing
anyone(_at_)anydomain(_dot_)anything(_dot_)com" jjg < /dev/null
---
  Presumably, the backslash escapes the slash, but, then, what is the
  purpose of that slash?
---
This backslash-slash combination is shown in one of the procmailex manpage
examples, but, I don't see an explanation of what the purpose of the
backslash-slash combination is in that manpage example, or in other procmail
manpage (although I may have missed it).
------
I don't see what the backslash-slash is doing in that condition? Do you?

Thanks,
John Gianni

MORE DETAILS:
Thanks to the user(_at_)domain condition example from John R. Ruckstuhl &
Philip Guenther (procmail-d Digest V97 #43), combined with a formail example
from Doug Muth (procmail-d Digest V96 #195), I successfully patched together
my first simple autoresponder that creates a dynamic listing of files in a
certain directory in response to a user's query of the type:
   UNIX> mail -s "send-ls-listing
anyone(_at_)anydomain(_dot_)anything(_dot_)com" < /dev/null
------
   :0
   * ^Subject: send-ls-listing \/[a-z0-9_.-]+@([a-z0-9-]+\.)*com$
   {
   :0 c:
   | (/usr/local/bin/formail -rt -A"X-Loop: jjg(_at_)CADence(_dot_)Com" \
   -I "Subject: Automated reply - Here is my how.to list of files";\
   ls /net/jjg/myApplicationNotes/how.to.*) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t
   }
------