Re: problems with procmail 3.10 under sendmail v8.8.5

1997-02-27 13:49:49
larry <Larry_Chin(_at_)ca(_dot_)cch(_dot_)com> writes:
I'm hoping someone can shed some light for me.

I recently installed sendmail v8.8.5. Prior to this I was running 8.7.5 and
procmail ( and sendmail ) were both coexisting quite happily.

Now however whenever mail gets delivered to me, sendmail kicks out the
error:

      sendmail[23236]: HAA23232: SYSERR(root): rewrite: map user not found

looking at the syslog file that whenever sendmail reads my .forward file
which looks like:

      "|IFS=' '&&exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f-||exit 75 #larry"

it spews the error.

This is a sendmail configuration error.  Someone added a rule that does
a lookup in the "user" map, without adding the definition for the map.
The fact that it only occurs when your .forward file is processed would
seem to indicate that the use of the map is in the ruleset(s) that
rewrite address for the prog mailer.  I'll note that the m4 generated
configs only include the definition of the "user" map if you define
LUSER_RELAY.  If you need a map to lookup users in for your own
rulesets I would suggest defining your own.  In the hacks to config
file here I defined a map "users":

        KUsers user -m -a<>

That's the exact same definition as the "user" map, but a) I can depend
on it existing independent of changes to the "standard" config; and b)
I don't have to worry about name conflicts.

Further discussion of this really belongs on comp.mail.sendmail or the
like, as procmail has nothing to do with it.

Philip Guenther