Re: avoiding ~/.procmailrc

1997-02-28 05:48:13

monnier+/news(_at_)tequila(_dot_)cs(_dot_)yale(_dot_)edu said:
Is it possible to convince procmail not to read the ~/.procmailrc
file ? I'd like to move users' .procmailrc files from their home
directory to some special /var/something directory to avoid the mail
server having to access the users' home dirs which are mostly on a
remote machine (which is sometimes down, of course). Since procmail
starts by reading the /etc/procmailrc, I figured I could add
something like "INPUTRC /var/somwhere/$LOGNAME" in it, but how can I
make sure procmail doesn't then try to access ~/.procmailrc ?

Of course, I can hack the source, but I'd rather not do it.

Is customizing the config.h file hacking the source?  If so, then no
need to read the rest of this.

This is exactly how I run procmail here, avoiding lots of superfluous
automounts of people's home directories.  Both .forward and .procmailrc
files are copied to a central directory and the ones in the users'
homes are never accessed by sendmail or procmail (which is the MDA here).
Works great, except that users need to be reminded that the copies in
their home directory don't immediately go into effect.

In any case, to get the desired effect, I used the following definition
in config.h:

        #define PROCMAILRC "/etc/mail/procmailrcs/$LOGNAME"

Of course, people who do have .procmailrc files end up getting their
home directories automounted onto the mailserver anyway, but it avoids
that action for the vast majority of users who have never heard of
procmail.

Greg

--
Greg Paris <paris(_at_)dma(_dot_)isg(_dot_)mot(_dot_)com>
"Your Plastic Pal who's fun to be with."  TM Sirius Cybernetics