forwarding mail to a dynamic hostname

1997-03-03 19:37:48

I've just gotten sendmail to behave, and have a side effect I did
not expect:

        I can receive mail at my home machine (because my dynamic IP
        is a registered DNS hostname).

So, of course, my first thought was "How can I use procmail to have
my mail forwarded from my ISP directly to my machine?"

I have a system set up for getting procmail my current hostname,
that's not a problem.  The problem is this:

        what happens if my link dies?

Say I have the hostname "host1.isp.com" for this login.  Something
happens and I get cut off before a message is transferred.  What
will happen?  Will it bounce back to me at my local ISP account?
Will it bounce back to the sender?  Will it get stuck in my ISP's
mailq?

I was thinking there might be some way to test whether or not it
worked (using procmail) and if it didn't work, then just dump the
message in my $DEFAULT

Thoughts?  Warnings?

TjL

--
Tj Luoma (luomat(_at_)peak(_dot_)org)   PEAK OpenStep/NeXTStep FTP Site
Newly revised and enhanced NeXTStep/OpenStep resources page, over