Re: How to stop creation of BOGUS.xxx

1997-03-12 04:14:15
Peter Jaeckel <pj(_at_)jet(_dot_)uk> writes:
On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Philip Guenther wrote:
Define a database doing the mapping, have ruleset 5 use the map and
pass the mapped address back to ruleset 0 on a match.  Users excluded
from the map would be delivered locally.

What about simply sticking all local users' site wide address into
/etc/aliases and running newaliases. As far as I tested it, it appears
to work.

That'll work fine.  Sticking the mapping in ruleset 5 would allow for
some obscene levels of flexability, something I would go for as a
zealot.  (Stop laughing!)

Right. Now we got to the core of the problem. I realise it now. I had
no idea nfs didn't take care of conflicts. I just tested it myself by
simultaneously pumping output from two machines into a file on the
server. The result was a garbled file. This is bad news.

A friend of mine on the Linux kernel-hackers mailing list tells me that
the central networking code hackers are basically ignoring NFS file
locking, and are working on other things like IPv6 instead.

This nfs problem is quite severe. It also means that I run the risk of
a corrupted mailbox everytime I am using pine which I directed to
use the mailbox in the nfs mounted directory. That means I have to
think about imap or some other way for that problem, too.

Good point, I missed that.  You may want to drop support completely for
NFS mounting of the mail spool, given that it can't be safely accessed
in a 'reasonable' fashion.

Philip Guenther