How to stop creation of BOGUS.xxx

1997-03-07 01:38:11

Hi.

        FIRST: I am not on the mailing list, please reply personally to
        atmpj(_at_)ermine(_dot_)ox(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk(_dot_) Thank you.

I am using procmail as it came with Red Hat Linux 4.0, i.e. procmail -v
gives:-

    pc_pjaeck : /home/pj >  procmail -v
    procmail v3.10 1994/10/31 written and created by Stephen R. van den
    Berg

berg(_at_)pool(_dot_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de

    Submit questions/answers to the procmail-related mailinglist by
    sending to:
            procmail(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de

    And of course, subscription and information requests for this list to:
            procmail-request(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de

    Locking strategies:     dotlocking, fcntl(), lockf()
    Default rcfile:         $HOME/.procmailrc
    System mailbox:         /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME

Now for the problem. As this pc here is sitting in a site-wide network
where all incoming mail is stored in a central mail server whose
drives can be accessed via nfs and in no other way, I have a symbolic
link to the right point in the mounted file system tree. Everything is
fine as long as incoming mail is actually stored by the central mail
host on the server's file system. However, if I happen to send mail to
another userid on my Linux pc, procmail insists on removing the
symbolic link to something like BOGUS.xxx (as described in the man
pages).

How do I stop procmail doing that (security is not an issue _at_
_all_) ?

Thank you for advice,

        Dr. Peter Jaeckel
                                Joint European Torus