Re: formail question

1997-04-07 21:07:00

Hi David Reynolds!  I'm a UNIX administrator, spamfighter, and a virusfighter!
P.S. Feel free to make fun of the script, change it around or
otherwise humiliate me :)

        YES!! I get to have some fun! :-)

I use the following script to re-write incoming email messages, I
want to limit the message body to the first 20 lines.  My question
is, within the following script how would I , or could I do that?

        I'll comment on your script first, then have a "cleaned up" copy
at the bottom.

#!/bin/sh
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin

        Probally not needed, as procmail sets its own path.

export PATH

        Ditto.

formail -k -X From: -X Subject: >> /tmp/david.test.$$
mail -s "David Reynolds" david(_at_)stuffage(_dot_)com </tmp/david.pager.$$
rm /tmp/david.test.$$

        Huh?

My original thought was to use something like this:
head -20 /tmp/david.test.$$
but it didnt work either, it piped the output to the screen, not to
the file.

        Ok, let's try something like this: (I'm trusting that your
formail syntax is correct)

#!/bin/sh
TEST=/tmp/david.test.$$
MAIL=/tmp/david.mail.$$
# Defining temp files like this is always a good idea so that your code
# becomes much clearer.

formail -k -X From: -X Subject: >$TEST

# ok, now we need to seperate the header and the body

# first, we get the header
sed -n /"^From"/,/"^$"/p <$TEST >$MAIL

# and now the body, we start the second copy of sed at line 2
# because the first line is the blank space that seperates the header from
# the body, and we already have it in $MAIL from the last sed command
sed -n /"^$"/,/"\000"/p <$TEST |sed -n 2,21p >>$MAIL

mail -s "David Reynolds" david(_at_)stuffage(_dot_)com <$MAIL

# cleanup
rm -f $TEST $MAIL

# End

        If you're not TOO dizzy after reading that, type it in and lemme
know how it works. :-)

        Regards,

<Doug Muth> ----- <http://www.ot.com/~dmuth> ---- Est sularus oth Mithas!
Co-author of the SPAM-L FAQ -=-=-= http://www.snowpoint.com/spam-lfaq.txt