Re: SEndmail 8.8.5, Procmail 3.11pre5, and SGI

1997-04-08 13:38:00
"Lance A. Brown" <labrown(_at_)splat(_dot_)niehs(_dot_)nih(_dot_)gov> writes:
I've been using procmail for years now and decided to integrate it
into the sendmail 8.8.5 installation on my SGI Indy a few days ago
using the FEATURE(local_procmail) available in the m4 setup system for
sendmail.

Everything is working fine except for 1 strangeness.  If I send mail
from myself to myself the message gain an extra '>' quoted 'From '
line like this:

 From labrown(_at_)splat(_dot_)niehs(_dot_)nih(_dot_)gov  Tue Apr  8 13:38:31
1997
 >From labrown  Tue Apr  8 13:38:31 1997

Did you change the flags on the local mailer in any way?  In particular,
the mailer should have both the 'S' and 'n' flags.  Removing either of
those would give the shown result.

This is directly from my mail spool.  Further investigation reveals
that this ONLY happens if the mail is sent from a user on the SGI to
another user on the SGI.  Messages delivered by way of an alias on
another machine get the same treatment as well.

This *really* makes me think the 'S' flag got removed.

Oh wait!  If sendmail lost it's setuid bit, then this would also occur,
so check that as well.

Philip Guenther