Re: what regexps work?

1997-04-10 11:50:00

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Eli the Bearded wrote:
Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu> replied to me:

engine with egrep. What egrep? There are many versions. Here are
The _original_ egrep: extended, but not bloated, regexps.  In newer

Thank you for your message.

The first thing I noticed about procmail was its
weak regex implementation.  You did a good job of
pointing out some of the considerations.

I'd really like to see, for version 4 for example,
true backreferences, instead of the uninteresting $MATCH  \/
construction.  I would not expect a full perl implementation
but why couldn't procmail actually use egrep or something?

Perhaps I am missing something fundamental... is there an
easy way to *use* perl or egrep instead of the * line in
a recipe?

--
g-r-a-t-e-f-u-l-l-y---[   email:<fishbowl(_at_)conservatory(_dot_)com>
]---l-i-v-i-n-g