Re: lock files for $DEFAULT

1997-04-16 12:56:00
On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Robert Nicholson wrote:

steffi2> It's trying to acquire a look file in /var/mail/ which I don't
steffi2> have write access to. So am I do explicitly define a $DEFAULT
steffi2> rule at the end of my .procmailrc and name the lockfile to be
steffi2> placed elsewhere?

You can do this, and it will work fine for procmail.  The complications
come here:

steffi2> Does Pine use the same locking file format? and can Pine's lock
steffi2> file also been placed where I like them for the inbox?

Pine's locking is not as configurable as procmail's.  The pine
developers once wrote me that pine does pretty much the same thing as
procmail (I would describe this as kernel-locking *.lock files); but you
really want them to be able to use the same lockfile!  The solution for
me was to make sure procmail was installed as per its 'make recommend',
so that it *could* make a lockfile in /var/mail.

Hoping this helps,
--
   Rick Troxel     Rick_Troxel(_at_)nih(_dot_)gov
rick(_at_)helix(_dot_)nih(_dot_)gov