Re: Duplicate messages from this list

1997-04-17 12:05:00
Why am I getting CCs of people's mail to this list? Is this some form of
etiquitte I've never heard about? I can't think of any reason to get two

People (myself included) often Cc: to the sender of a message when posting
a reply to the procmail list.  This is, I guess, a form of etiquette; it
often ensures that the recipient will get the message quickly, without
having to wait for the list to distribute it.

It also means people can, if they wish, filter out email addressed to
them directly (via the Cc:) to a special folder, rather than having to
peruse the list.

You can always do what I do:

LOCKFILE=$IDCACHE_FILE.lock

:0H
{
        LOG="dupecheck: discarded $MESSAGEID from $FROM
"
        :0
        $DUPE_DEST
}

LOCKFILE

This recipe simply discards (well, moves to whatever $DUPE_DEST is) any
messages I've already received, based on the Message-ID header.  It works
well, and I run a cron job to clear out $DUPE_DEST every once in while.

-- Lars

---
Lars Kellogg-Stedman * lars(_at_)bu(_dot_)edu * (617)353-8277
Office of Information Technology, Boston University